A day of a carer of PD patient.
My mom wanted a little time away from at-home-care activities.
She went to Strawberry picking together with community members, they know the situation a little so she could relax.
My brother is on business trip to Osaka, therefore I got assignment from 6:30 a.m. today.
at 6:30 a.m. arrived at my parents’s home.
– 7:30, wake up dad. serve a glass of water and a cup of coffee. spoon-feed medicines with a deglutition aid jelly. medicines start acting 10 minutes or later. collect PJ laundry, replace a bed sheet, another sheet, a chair cover all are need to be washed.
– 7:50, apply denture cream to the lower denture. Help dad to wear dentures, remind him to wait at least one minute to make it stable.
– 8:00 Breakfast. serve riceballs and spoon feed yogurt. I eat rice balls with him. Mom’s rice balls.
about one hour spend. Talking and spoon feeding, keep waking up dad. Mostly poking.
– 9:00 do the first laundry. clean a cat litter box. feed the cats.
– have dad move to sofa. normally dad falls into a nap right after eating. take out his lower denture, remove the remaining denture cream and clean it and dry it keep it until lunch.
– 10:00 hanging out laundry, do the second laundry. prepare lunch and sweets
– write a blog and watch Python course on youtube
– 11:00 hanging out laundry. wake up dad from his nap. serve a glass of water and Coca-Cola, he loves cocacola but he needs to pay attention to diabetes. give medicines with a deglutition aid jelly.
– 11:30 apply denture cream to the lower denture. help him wear it. remind him to wait for a couple of min. otherwise the lower denture comes off and has to stop eating.
– 12:00 Lunch. serve shrimp wonton soup rice and yogurt. spoon feed. I eat same soup with dad.
– 13:30 have dad move to sofa. take off the lower denture. dad took a nap.
– 14:30 dad woke up. Help change his underwear. Dad watch TV. give medicine with jelly.
– 15:00 snack time. set the lower denture. serve Azuki zenzai. spoon feed.
– dad starts moving around. Don’t listen and fall.
– suddenly curry-rice request from dad. Quick prep and spoon feed.
– 16:30 dad watch TV. I take break.
– I took super quick shower as I didn’t have time this morning
– 17:00 again dad falls at the entrance.
He comes up the idea going shopping for tobacco which he quit almost three years ago, as he started falling sleep while smoking.
He burned what he was wearing several times. Got holes on his PJ.
somehow at evening he wants to go out. mostly to the store near home.
– 17:45 still mom is not home.
– 18:00 Dinner. curry-rice he left at 15:00, and pudding.
spend one hour
– 19:00 finish dinner. take off both dentures. clean them up. give evening medicines.
dad watches TV
– 19:30 mom is home.
– 20:30 or so, mom gives dad another medicines for good night sleep.
That’s the normal Sundays, Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Mom handles everything by herself. I visit once or twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday.
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays dad is at a daycare facility from 8:30 – 18:00.
Between meals his condition is hazy. He tells date and time incorrectly and his eyes closed, because he is too sleepy and heavy-eyed.
I can communicate with him while he’s eating.
Only if we could observe and support him 24 hours, or 12 hours while he is awake, we could lead a nearly normal life.
Wish if we have clone mom and clone me.
Cats are good at healing us with their existence.
I’m so grateful when I find Chobi comes exploring to dad’s room.
Dad sees optical illusion, sometime it’s cats. But he can recognize Chobi as real one. He smiles at Chobi.